"Be a Light" copyright 2025 by Emily Bowen. All Rights Reserved. I grew up in the Adventist church in the 1990’s. I turned five a few months after that decade started and was old enough to remember some of the more hurtful rhetoric pushed by “devout” Christians, but still young enough to be impressionable. I had Ellen G. White and last day events shoved down my throat for the next 35 years. Of course it didn’t stop with just those topics. I was told that the Pope and Catholics were the “little horn” found in prophecy. That they would bring about the Sunday law and persecute devout Adventists. I was told that democrats were socialist and communists. I was told that gays were the most sinful of all. I was told a lot of stuff by those within our church that were tasked with teaching us about the love of Jesus. The thing is, as I got older, I started meeting the sinful “undesirables” that my church had warned me about. And I learned that they weren’t anything like what I was to...
When I was growing up, I was taught that . . . Trees are Green Roses are Red Sky is Blue Barns are Red Clouds are White Flowers are Yellow Violets are Blue My crayon and marker drawings stayed true, until my parents enrolled me in a two week summer painting class. Our teacher (bless his heart) was very traditional and always said "like so" after every instruction. Apparently, I was the rebellious child and he saw it as his duty to curve my unruly artistic ways. "Barns are not green ." He emphasized the last word as he studied my masterpiece. Our assignment had been to copy his painting. The rest of the class had done just that—and to them he gave praise. But as I was dutifully coping his painting, I decided that a red barn would blend in with the burnt umber treeline. And so, mine was green. It was my first artistic rebellion, but it was most certainly not my last. Trees are Whimsical Roses are Elegent Sky is my Backdrop Barns Protect ...
The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the Lord, the splendor of our God.Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” [Isaiah 35:1-4] Isaiah 35 has been one of my favorite chapters in the Bible since I was in high school. I have always liked the visual narrative. Life after rain. Joy after victory. Be strong my child, do not fear—your God will come. He will come justly. Don’t fear, He has heard your cry. And He will save you. Rereading over these verses are a much needed balm to my soul. Because lately, I haven’t felt heard. And that makes me feel so empty and sometimes ev...
Comments
Post a Comment